James made his name on the Iberian Peninsula with Porto, before moving to Monaco and later winning two consecutive Champions League titles with Real Madrid. The Colombian international reached the semifinals of the competition with Bayern in 2017/18, and is determined to go one better in his second season on loan at the club. He started Saturday’s 3-1 victory over Bayer Leverkusen on the bench, but he scored his team’s third goal and is pressing to start in Lisbon. Niko Kovac, making his European bow as coach, has a series of injury concerns after the win against Leverkusen following the long-term losses of Corentin Tolisso and Rafinha. And with this game being the second of seven in the space of 22 days, there could be some rotation.
Like Bayern, Benfica have also had an unbeaten start to the season and are currently in first place in the Portuguese league NOS. The national finalists of last season had to go through two qualifying rounds to reach the group stage of the Champions League, leaving out Fenerbahce and PAOK Saloniki on the way. The Eagles enter this tie with the German champions thanks to a 2-1 victory over Rio Ave in the Portuguese League Cup. Central midfielder Pizzi and winger Eduardo Salvio are the ones to watch in this team, as the pair provides more than half of the club’s 17 goals this season. Former Eintracht Frankfurt striker Haris Seferovic leads the line for the Lisbon club.
See: summarize James’ impressive first season at Bayern
- Bayern are unbeaten in five games in Lisbon, as well as in their last five European away games. They have reached the quarterfinals of the Champions League or better in each of the last seven seasons.
- James scored 25 goals in 65 appearances in the league for Porto between 2010 and 2013, scoring one goal in six competitive meetings with Benfica.
- Renato Sanches is a product of the Benfica academy. He made his professional debut in a group game of the Champions League against Astana on November 25, 2015.
- Kovac made 17 appearances in the Champions League as a player, including six for Bayern in 2001/02 and 2002/03.
- Benfica do not win in six attempts against Bayern (D3, L3).
- Seferovic played with Kovac in Frankfurt between 2015 and 2017, scoring 16 goals and 13 assists in 86 appearances in the Bundesliga.
Bayern Munich start their Champions League campaign on Wednesday when they visit Benfica on the first day. Bayern enters the competition as one of the favorites to win the competition (and the number 1 in our Power Rankings), looking for a quick start to create positive vibes. as he has already achieved in the Bundesliga.
How to watch Benfica vs. Bayern Munich in the United States
When: Wednesday at 3 p.m. ET
Stream: Univision Deportes and B / R Livethe
competition. Bayern 3, Benfica 0.
Benfica Prediction vs. Bayern Munich
Bayern is much more talented and in better shape. Wait for the team to hit the road and mark a great victory to start the competition. Bayern 3, Benfica 0.